WARLPIRI STATEMENT: Rollback the Intervention:
Statement by Warlpiri Delegation from Yuendumu on the Occasion of the Opening of Parliament 2009
Feb 09: ” … Recommendations:
* The Commonwealth Racial Discrimination Act (1975) and the NT Anti-Discrimination Act should be restored straight away.
* Don’t ignore the recommendations of the Report of Peter Yu’s NTER Review Board.
* Put the Intervention money now being wasted to good use.Fund our local organisations to employ more people on full wages.
* Re-establish local leadership and decision making power. Restore Yuendumu Council.
* Apologise for all the hurt and the lies and insults that have made us look so bad in the eyes of the rest of Australia.
* That Australia adopt the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. This declaration includes the right of people “providing education in their own languages”.
* Above all give us back our respect and dignity and support us in running our own lives.
* Don’t talk down to us and listen.”